Monday, June 7, 2010

Why I began

Have you ever just thought something would be really cool and fun to do as a hobby right before it took on a life of its own. I'm an elementary school teacher and I love the profession for two very specific reasons. Number 1: I love teaching kids and being part of their success as they grow up. Number 2: Summers off!! I like summers off though for a different reason then at least 95% of the other teachers out there. I like having summers off so that I can go learn something new or do something different. How often do you hear of people being fed up with or burnt out on their job? Too often, right? I stay out of that trend mainly because I love my job, but also because I play around with new ideas. Not only am I a 28 year old school teacher, but I have also scooped icecream for Baskin Robbins, sold books for Barnes & Nobles, sold clothes for American Eagle, worked in almost every part of the hotel/resort industry, and become a licensed massage therapist because I thought it was neat. As you can see I have a variety of interests in jobs, but it also stretches out in my personal interests as well. Well for the past 2 years I have been playing with the idea of writing a book and now I have gotten serious into it. Much to the chagrin of my lovely wife, I am not getting a for certain bonus paycheck this summer, outside of my standard teaching salary. I have cut out all of my extra jobs that I love, so that I can focus 8 hours a day on writing. I have high hopes but modest expectations. I hear a lot of encouragement from those around me and that boosts me up. However, I am just as terrified of the difficulties that lie ahead in what I hear is a brutal industry. I am pretty persistent though and I have not totally failed at any task that I have gone though yet. Here's to hoping, and here's to believing in my own ability to accomplish whatever I put my mind to.

No comments:

Post a Comment